Skip to main content

Student & Employee Property Insurance

Protect Your Property

Your stuff matters to you! Don’t wait until the unexpected strikes to get it covered. When making preparations for living on campus and beginning studies at Auburn University, we feel it is important for students to fully consider all of their property insurance needs. Occasionally, incidents such as fire, theft, flood and other casualties occur on campus that may result in damage or loss of a student’s property. Auburn University does not carry insurance on resident’s belongings and will not pay to replace them. Therefore, we strongly encourage parents and students to make sure they are able to cover these unexpected costs or secure insurance protection on personal property.

The most frequent causes of student property loss are theft and accidental damage (dropping, spilling liquids, and similar events). If this were to happen, your out-of-pocket costs to repair or replace will generally run between $500 and $2,000. Some parents choose to rely on homeowner’s insurance to cover such losses. Homeowner’s policies provide some coverage but generally do not cover “breakage” or accidental damage, and usually have high deductibles that effectively leave most student property losses unrecoverable. For these reasons, students are strongly encouraged to have a personal property insurance policy for their belongings while living on campus.

If you decide to purchase insurance you will need to choose from a wide variety of companies and policies. To help with your choice, Auburn University has made arrangements with URMIA Student Property. as our preferred provider to offer specialized student property protection insurance. This insurance is administered by Arthur J. Gallagher and has been created especially for students living away from home, either on or off campus. The coverage afforded by their policy is comprehensive.Special provisions and benefits of their policy include:

  • Replacement Cost Valuation
  • Flood and Earthquake Coverage
  • Low Deductibles starting at $25
  • Worldwide Coverage Territory
  • Limited Identity Theft Expense Coverage
  • Premiums as low as $69 annually

This coverage is also available for Auburn University employees who may find it beneficial especially for items like personal laptops or smart devices. For more information and to purchase coverage, please go to the following website:

Our Student Personal Property Tip Sheet provides answers to frequently asked questions and tips on how to better student personal property.

College Student Renters Insurance Pamphlet from Allianz (pdf)

Please note that Liability Coverage is not automatically included. You will be given the option to purchase Bodily Injury and Property Damage Liability Coverage to pay for damages for which the student is held legally liable (i.e. damages to the dorm room, damage to property of others, bodily injury of another party, etc.)