Skip to main content

Principal Investigators & Radiation Safety

Authorization to Use Radioactive Materials

Principal Investigator (PI)

If you intend to use Radioactive Materials (RAM) in your laboratory at Auburn University, then you must apply to become an Authorized User (i.e. RAM Principal Investigator) and obtain an internal RAM license. Your application will be reviewed and approved by the Radiation Safety Committee or you may be granted interim approval by the Radiation Safety Officer (RSO). The entire authorization review and approval process typically takes 3-4 weeks. Your authorization will be issued for a five-year term and as long as you do not request significant changes in your license or protocols the renewal process is quick and easy. If you wish to make amendments to your current license a formal request, with the changes, must be submitted to the RSO for review.