Skip to main content

Employment Opportunities

Many Auburn students earn money through either on-campus or off-campus part-time employment to assist with education and living expenses. By working 10-20 hours per week, students can reduce their need to borrow additional funds for college.

Federal Work Study

The Federal Work Study Program (FWS) is a need-based federally-funded work-for-pay program. FWS employees are paid bi-weekly for hours worked through payroll direct deposit. Students may request application information by emailing Funding is very limited and priority is given to students who:

  • Indicate they are interested in FWS on their FAFSA
  • Have their FAFSA and all requirements submitted by the March 1 priority deadline
  • Demonstrate exceptional unmet need after scholarships, grants, waivers, fellowships, and accepted loans are deducted from Cost of Attendance
  • Are a returning FWS student from a prior academic year
  • Complete all FWS application materials prior to June 1
  • Demonstrate a skillset requested by employment department

To be considered for and maintain a FWS position, students must be:

  • Enrolled at least half time in a degree-seeking program
  • Be meeting the standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • Be available to work 10-20 hours per week, based on a work schedule agreed-upon with their assigned supervisor
  • Maintain good communication, conduct and ethics, as determined by the assigned supervisor and/or the Office of Student Financial Aid, Auburn University Human Resources, Auburn University Student Affairs Office

FWS employees are NOT:

  • Eligible for Auburn University employment benefits
  • Allowed to use estimated future FWS wages to reduce their AU tuition and fee balance
  • Allowed to work over 20 hours per week during terms of enrollment
  • Allowed to work during scheduled class times
On-Campus Student Employment

General Student Employment is a non-need based program and does not require completion of the FAFSA in order to apply for vacant positions. More information about student employment may be found on the Weagle Workers website.

Off-Campus Student Employment

Alabama Works! is another good source for part-time positions. The Opelika-Auburn News also publishes searchable local job classified ads.

Documents You Will Need

It is important for students seeking employment to know that the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Citizenship and Immigration Services requires employers to verify the employment eligibility of all new employees. New hires, including Work Study employees, must therefore complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, or Form I-9, and present to their employer supporting documents to establish identity as well as employment eligibility. These documents might typically be a passport, a driver’s license or school id with picture, and a social security card or a certified birth certificate. Hiring agencies are required to view the original documents, so faxes or photocopies are not acceptable.

Please be sure to bring these documents to school with you if you plan to work. International students may contact the Office of International Education in 228 Foy Hall for assistance in securing the necessary documents for work eligibility.